Its temperate climate, its sublime beaches, its social and political stability, make Mauritius the ideal destination for people who want to expatriate, whether for work, investment, study or simply to retire.

Upon arrival at Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam airport the authorities issue a visa. Different visas of three months are available but some allow the opportunity to obtain a renewal of this such period. visa can not exceed one hundred and eighty days per year.

What are the procedures to apply to stay in Mauritius for a long term basis?


Tourist visa: it is initially granted for a period of ninety days but it is possible to extension of ninety additional days.

Business visa: it is valid fof 120 days maximum per year but each trip must not exceed 90 days. Expatriates going to Mauritius to set up a company, to invest or to apply for an Occupation Permit must apply for this visa upon arrival.

Social Visa: it is granted to people sponsored by socio-cultural associations for a maximum period of 45 days.

Multiple Entry Visa: It is issued to businessmen with commercial interests in Mauritius. The conditions are same for the business visa.

Medical visa: it is delivered for the duration of the treatment but cannot exceed six months.

Transit visa: it concerns travelers transiting through Mauritius within 24 hours.


Student Permit: it is issued by the university or school which will apply for it at the Passport and Permit Office after the student has completed all the formalities. This permit will be issued by email.

Young Professional Occupation Permit or YPOP. This permit is granted to foreign students who have obtained at least an undergraduate degree from a Mauritian institution of higher learning recognized by the Tertiary Education Commission. The application must be made within six months of the publication of the results and the company applying must be active in sectors such as: artificial intelligence, robotics, information technology, finance, biotechnology. This visa is issued for a maximum of three years but can then lead to an Occupation Permit Professional.

Premium Visa: it is granted to expatriates who can work remotely for a period of one year with the possibility of renewal. Applicants must provide proof of their project and have adequate travel and health insurance. They are not allowed to work in Mauritius under any circumstances and their place of business and source of income must come from another country.

Occupation permit professional: it concerns foreigners employed by a Mauritian company. The minimum salary must be more than sixty thousand rupees except for the new technology sector or call centers where the salary must be more than thirty thousand rupees. The duration of the permit equals to the lenght of the employment contract.

Self-employed worker permit: it concerns the liberal professions and freelance workers and is granted for ten years. A deposit of thirty-five thousand US dollars or the equivalent in any other currency is required and an annual turnover of eight hundred thousand Rupees must be achieved from the third year of activity.

Investor Permit: is granted for a period of ten years, an initial investment of fifty thousand US $ is required and an annual turnover of four million Rupees must be achieved from the third year after obtaining the permit.

Permanent Resident Permit: it is systematically granted to any purchaser of an IRS (Integrated Resort Scheme) property whose value is always higher than three hundred and seventy-five thousand US dollars. The acquisition of a RES (Real Estate Scheme) or PDS (Property Development Scheme) property will only result in a Permanent Resident Permit if the purchase value exceeds three hundred and seventy-five thousand US dollars. This permit will also be granted to the spouse and children (up to the age of 24). The sale of the property results in the loss of the license.

Retired Permit: it is issued for a period of ten years to people over fifty years of age who can justify a minimum monthly income of one thousand five hundred US dollars. Holders of this permit are not allowed to work in Mauritius.

Dependent’s Permit It is issued to the spouse or cohabitant of the opposite sex as well as to the natural or unnatural children of any person having obtained an Occupation Permit. The duration is the same as that of the Occupation Permit and children cannot be dependent beyond the age of twenty-four.

Share this article with your friends


Restez informez

Soyez le premier à recevoir les nouveautés de Homes Magazines directement dans votre boite email.

× Speak with an agent